Three piracy attacks in S’pore Strait over 2 ½ hours

Nothing stolen; latest incidents bring Oct tally to six, highest monthly figure this year

Fabian Koh

Armed pirates stormed three ships in the Singapore Strait in the span of 2 ½ hours between Sunday night and yesterday morning.

But nothing was stolen from the bulk carriers in the three separate incidents, which took place in close proximity to one another in the eastbound lane of the Traffic Separation Scheme (TSS) in the waterway.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: straitstimes.com

ReCAAP issues 2020 3rd Quarter Report

A total of 75 incidents of piracy and armed robbery against ships (comprising 73 actual incidents and two attempted incidents) were reported in Asia during January-September 2020 compared to 54 incidents (comprising 49 actual incidents and five attempted incidents) during January-September 2019. This accounts for an increase of 39% in the total number of incidents reported during January-September 2020 compared to the same period in 2019.

Of the 75 incidents, 71 were incidents of armed robbery against ships and four were piracy incidents. The increase of incidents during January-September 2020 occurred in Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam, South China Sea and Singapore Strait. However, there was improvement at the ports/anchorages in China and Malaysia during January-September 2020 compared to the same period in 2019.

To continue reading, please click here.

To download the report, please click here.

Source: recaap.org

Army to deploy assets, platoons to ESSZone

TAWAU: The army will deploy two platoons and 18 boats to strengthen security in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone).

Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCom) Commander Datuk Ahmad Fuad Othman said that the matter was relayed to him by the Chief of Defence Force General Tan Sri Affendi Buang in a video conference yesterday.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: thesundaily.my

Curfew in ESSZone extended to Nov 1

Sabah

TAWAU, Oct 16 — The curfew in the waters off seven districts in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone), scheduled to end tomorrow, has been extended to November 1.

Sabah police commissioner Datuk Hazani Ghazali said the curfew covers the waters off Tawau, Semporna, Kunak, Lahad Datu, Kinabatangan, Sandakan and Beluran.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: malaymail.com

Terrorism harbors at sea : Snapshot of Maritime Terrorism

Sakshar Law AssociatesSakshi Shairwal and Anam Khan

ntroduction

Modern terrorism dates back to the French revolution and has been evolving since then. Among many reasons and sources that aid terrorism, the most common ones are clashes between different cultures, religion and international conflicts. Gone are the days when terrorism was limited to land. Now the scope has shifted to the waters too. Unfortunately, there is no authoritative definition of maritime terrorism. However, what is commonly understood of the term ‘terrorism’ is one among several forms of armed rebellion with systematic use of violence to achieve some higher cause. With the prefix, ‘maritime’ added to it the limit of such armed rebels is restricted to the waters. Although maritime terrorism has not been a serious threat one cannot discount from the rather widespread fears that there is something worse may come.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: lexology.com

ESSzone curfew extended to Oct 17

Sabah

TAWAU: The curfew in the waters off seven districts in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone), scheduled to end tomorrow, has been extended to Oct 17.

Sabah police commissioner Datuk Hazani Ghazali said the curfew was enforced in the waters off Tawau, Semporna, Kunak, Lahad Datu, Kinabatangan, Sandakan and Beluran.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: nst.com.my

Indonesian kidnap victim found dead in Sulu —WestMinCom

Military personnel on Tuesday found a body in Patikul, Sulu which was identified to be one of the five Indonesians abducted in January, the Western Mindanao Command (WestMinCom) announced Wednesday.

Lieutenant Colonel Ruben Guinolbay, the Commanding Officer of the 45th Infantry Battalion, said the troops were pursuing a local terrorist group when they recovered the body along Barangay Maligay.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: gmanetwork.com

PH Coast Guard foil bomb attack in Sulu

ZAMBOANGA CITY – Suspected members of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) failed to create havoc in the town of Jolo in Sulu after elements of the Philippine Coast Guard–Explosive and Ordnance Division (PCG-EOD) discovered a baggage that contained an improvised explosive device (IED) that the bandits planted at the local port, Saturday night, September 19.

Armed Force of the Philippines- Western Mindanao Command (AFP-WestMinCom) Commander Lt Gen Corleto Vinluan, Jr. said PCG EOD wharf security personnel found the abandoned baggage between the Harbor Master and Maritime Police Office located in Barangay Walled City in about 6:02 p.m., Saturday.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: mb.com.ph

‘Piracy on PH waters could affect crew change plans’

By Yashika F. Torib

A recent increase in theft, robbery, and piracy on board ships in the ports of Manila and Batangas could possibly “derail” the country’s plan to become a major crew change hub.

This was the statement made by one of the industry’s manning leaders following a report made by the Singapore Navy’s Information Fusion Centre (IFC) that two sea robberies, six thefts, and two attempts at piracy from January to August 2020 were recorded in Manila and Batangas bays.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: manilatimes.net

Coast Guard intensifies watch over rising robbery incidents in Manila, Batangas ports

by Betheena Kae Unite

All Coast Guard stations and sub-stations in Metro Manila, Central Luzon, and Southern Tagalog districts were directed Thursday to intensify their watch over robbery incidents as an increase in robberies in the areas were recently reported.

Admiral George Ursabia, Jr., Philippine Coast Guard commandant, has ordered the district stations “to intensify intelligence gathering and maritime patrol operations in the vicinity waters of Manila Bay and Southern Luzon to prevent or deter the occurrence of said incidents.”

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: mb.com.ph