5 Indonesian captives spotted in Sulu

Roel Pareño

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines — Army troopers are tracking down five Indonesian fishermen being held captive by Abu Sayyaf bandits after the victims were reportedly spotted in the hinterlands of Maimbung, Sulu.

The Joint Task Force Sulu (JTFS) intensified its intelligence gathering as it gave assurance that the troops are ready to execute plans to liberate the captives.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: philstar.com

Police monitoring kidnap group ‘spotters’ in Sabah waters

Sabah

Police are monitoring the remaining few hostage ‘spotters’ or lookouts working in cohorts with the kidnap-for-ransom group (KFRG) responsible for the kidnapping incidents in Sabah’s east coast.

Sabah Police Commissioner Omar Mammah (above) said the spotters under surveillance were fishermen.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: malaysiakini.com

Philippines: Two kidnapping suspects shot dead

KOTA KINABALU: Two of the six men suspected to have kidnapped five Indonesian fishermen in Malaysian waters earlier this month have been shot dead by Philippine security forces.

Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) commander Hazani Ghazali said the suspects were killed in a shootout with Philippine security forces two days ago.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: theborneopost.com

No ransom demand from kidnappers of 5 Indonesians, say cops

Sabah

Jason Santos

LAHAD DATU: The captors of the five Indonesian workers off Tambisan waters on Jan 15 have not made any ransom demand, said Sabah police commissioner Omar Mammah.

“Until today, we have not received any demand for ransom money from the kidnappers. We are investigating to find out who the masterminds are,” he said during a visit to the Lahad Datu police headquarters today.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: freemalaysiatoday.com

Sabah, Labuan marine police record success in tackling maritime crimes

MMEA vessel. Image via diabgroup.com

LABUAN: Labuan marine police thwarted smuggling activities with a total seizure worth more than RM17 million last year, compared to RM1.5 million in 2018.

Sabah marine police (Region 4) commander, ACP Mohamad Pajeri Ali said Labuan marine police also foiled several attempts of illegal fishing by foreign fishermen and intrusion by illegal immigrants.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: thesundaily.my

40 abduction bids foiled in Sabah

LAHAD DATU: Since 2018, security forces have thwarted 40 kidnapping attempts in the waters off seven districts in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone).

Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCom) commander Datuk Hazani Ghazali said this was due to the cooperation between the Royal Malaysian Police, armed forces and the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: nst.com.my

Malaysia shows commitment to security in Sabah waters: Minister

Malaysian Defense Minister Mohamad Sabu has reiterated the country’s commitment to increasing security in the Sulu Sea region following recurring kidnappings of Indonesian fishermen by southern Philippines militant group Abu Sayyaf, inviting all trilateral counterparts — Indonesia and the Philippines — to join the effort.

In a visit to Jakarta on Saturday, the Malaysian politician — better known as Mat Sabu — said Malaysia would increase its efforts and role in the existing trilateral maritime patrols around Sulu and Sabah region, calling on relevant parties to follow suit.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: thejakartapost.com