Austal has signed a contract worth approximately A$126 million to construct two Cape Class Patrol Boats (CCPB) for the Government of the Republic of Trinidad & Tobago (GORTT). The vessels will be delivered in the second half of 2020.
Austal Chief Executive Officer David Singleton said the award of the contract confirmed an important defence export opportunity for Austal and consequent workflow for the Company’s Henderson operations.
Yaoundé (AFP) – Asian and European seamen were kidnapped Thursday aboard a vessel in the Gulf of Guinea off the southern Cameroon port of Douala, a senior Cameroonian navy source said.
“(They) were abducted this morning,” said the source, who gave no details about the number or nationality of the kidnap victims. “The kidnappers are probably Nigerian pirates,” the source said. “Cameroonian forces have launched search operations.”
MSM Note: Some media sources have stated that Cameroonian naval personnel were also abducted during the attack.
The Ministry of National Defense Ministry said Thursday that it has not yet decided on sending the anti-piracy Cheonghae Unit to the Strait of Hormuz in response to Washington’s request to forge a coalition against Iran’s military activities amid heightened tensions with Tehran.
“Sending (Cheonghae Unit) to the Strait of Hormuz has not been decided. … We are considering various ways to protect our vessels in the area, and are closely observing the situation,” the ministry said.
Gibraltar authorities will also decide on the fate of four crew members of the Grace 1
Gibraltar: Gibraltar’s Supreme Court was to decide on Thursday whether an Iranian oil tanker seized last month near the tiny British territory can be held longer amid speculation that it might soon be released.
The Grace 1 supertanker, carrying 2.1 million barrels of Iranian oil, was seized on July 4 by Gibraltar police and British special forces off the overseas British territory, provoking a diplomatic crisis between Tehran and London. It was suspected of carrying oil to war-torn Syria in violation of EU sanctions.
An accused pirate who was allegedly part of a Somali crew that kidnapped an American journalist and held him hostage on a hijacked ship while demanding a $20 million bounty was hauled before a federal judge in Brooklyn Wednesday.
Abdi Yusuf Hassan, 51 — who is accused of negotiating the writer’s ransom during his years-long capture — was denied bail while facing six charges, including kidnapping and hostage-taking conspiracy raps, with the judge deeming him too dangerous to be released from the brig.