Niger Delta Amnesty Project Probe

The inauguration of a special panel by the Federal Government to probe alleged looting of assets of the Niger Delta Amnesty Programme is a warning signal that all is not well with a programme that was meant to defuse militancy in the restive Niger Delta region.

While government is committed to making life better for the people of the Niger Delta, some unscrupulous elements are frustrating the good intentions of government and by so doing stoking fire of avoidable violence.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: allafrica.com

Authorities Seize 3,200 Pounds of Cocaine at Port Newark

On February 28, a joint federal and state task force seized 1.5 tons of cocaine at the Port of New York and New Jersey’s Port Newark terminals. It was a small amount relative to the multi-ton hauls the Coast Guard confiscates in interdictions at sea, but it was still a success, marking the largest seizure of its kind at Port Newark in 25 years. 

According to the New York Times, the find occurred by chance when inspectors were examining containers from the vessel MSC Carlotta, which had just arrived from Colombia. One container’s seals showed signs of tampering, and when officers opened its doors, they found sixty packages containing about 3,200 pounds of cocaine. The shipment has an estimated street value of $77 million.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: maritime-executive.com

10,000 Personnel Arrive In UK For Exercise Joint Warrior

A total of 35 warships, five submarines and 59 aircraft, including helicopters, are also taking part. 

More than 10,000 military personnel from 13 countries have arrived in the UK ahead of Joint Warrior.

A total of 35 warships, five submarines and 59 aircraft, including helicopters, are also taking part in the NATO exercise.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: forces.net

Houthis attack pro-gov’t military base in Yemen’s Hodeidah

ADEN, Yemen, March 13 (Xinhua) — Fighters of the Houthi group launched a missile attack against a pro-government military base in Yemen’s Red Sea port city of Hodeidah on Wednesday evening, causing huge blasts, a security official told Xinhua.

The security source said on anonymity that “a missile fired by the Houthi rebels landed on Abu Musa Ashary army base in Alkhokha district of Hodeidah, killing two soldiers and injuring 18 others at the scene.”

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: xinhuanet.com

Terrorist, pro-IS bandits killed in massive assault

BY AL JACINTO

ZAMBOANGA CITY: The military on Wednesday claimed to have killed nearly 20 pro-Islamic State (IS) bandits, including a Singaporean terrorist, in massive air and ground assaults on a remote hideout in Maguindanao.

The 6th Infantry Division said the campaign, which began on Monday, was aimed at destroying a big group of Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF).

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: manilatimes.net

Attack by pirates forces MP to buy sea ambulance

Raicoast people will now have a sea ambulance that will also cater for sea emergencies in the Raicoast waters.


MP Peter Sapia made the announcement last week following the attack and robbery of 13 people from Astrolabe Bay local level government. Sapia said the district development authority planned to buy a sea ambulance.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: thenational.com.pg

Nigeria, Gulf of Guinea nations partner on sea border patrol

By Eugene Agha Lagos

The Federal Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Gulf of Guinea nations that will allow for a seamless border patrol.

The Flag Officer Commanding, Western Naval Command, Rear Admiral Obed Ngalabak, disclosed this to newsmen in Lagos yesterday on the activities to flag off this year’s multinational sea exercise code name “OBANGAME”.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: dailytrust.com.ng

Nigerian Pirates Kidnap Five After Firefight with Escort Boat

According to the ICC IMB’s Piracy Report, Nigerian pirates kidnapped five crewmembers from an OSV in the Gulf of Guinea last weekend despite the efforts of a security escort vessel. After an active firefight between the escort and the attackers, pirates boarded the target vessel, ransacked its cabins and made off with the victims. 

At about 1115 hours UTC on Saturday, at a position about 30 nm off Brass, Nigeria, armed pirates in two speed boats approached an OSV under way. The OSV’s captain called for help from what IMB ICC described as a “naval escort security boat,” which maneuvered to engage the attackers. One speed boat closed in from port side of the vessel and crossed the bow, while the other speed boat exchanged fire with the security boat. 

To read the incident report, please click here.

To continue reading the article, please click here.

Source: maritime-executive.com

Gov’t to carry out counter-piracy drill

SEOUL, March 14 (Yonhap) — South Korea’s ocean ministry said Thursday it will carry out a joint counter-piracy drill with the Navy and shipping companies to prepare for various contingencies.

The Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries said the training will be conducted on Friday in waters off the southern coast with the Navy’s Cheonghae Unit, which was created around a decade ago for anti-piracy operations off the Somali coast, taking part.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: en.yna.co.kr

Iran warns of firm response if Israel acts against its oil shipments

LONDON (Reuters) – Iran will respond firmly to any Israeli naval action against its oil shipments, Iran’s defense minister said on Wednesday, in comments that came a week after Israel’s prime minister said its navy could act against Iranian oil “smuggling” to enforce U.S. sanctions.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: reuters.com