Police free Shell employees abducted in Nigeria

By Janene Pieters

A police unit freed two Shell employees who were abducted in Nigeria last week, a Shell spokesperson said on Tuesday. The two are doing well, according to the spokesperson, NU.nl reports.

The two employees were abducted during a work outing at Rumuji in the Niger Delta last week Thursday. Their police escort was killed during the attack. On Tuesday morning the two employees were rescued by a police commando team from the southern state of Rivers.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: nltimes.nl

Saudi Arabia assists Iranian oil tanker in Red Sea, no injuries

RIYADH (Reuters) – Saudi Arabia’s coast guard assisted an Iranian oil tanker with engine trouble off the coast of Jeddah in the Red Sea after Riyadh received a request for help from Iran, the state news agency SPA said on Thursday.

Iran, which confirmed that its vessel had broken down in the area, and Saudi Arabia are arch-adversaries in the Middle East, backing opposite sides in several regional wars.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: reuters.com

Kidnapped Product Tanker Crewmembers Still in Captivity

The six seafarers who were kidnapped at the Bonny Outer Anchorage last month are still missing. Five were Indian nationals, and their families are calling upon the Indian government to intervene.

At 1330 hours in the afternoon of April 19, Nigerian pirates boarded the product tanker Apecus while she lay at anchor just off the coast of Bonny Island, a well-defended oil and gas complex in the Niger River Delta. In broad daylight, the attackers abducted six seafarers and departed. The remaining crewmembers were unharmed, and they navigated their vessel to the Bonny Inner Anchorage.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: maritime-executive.com

Houthis Stage Series of Attacks in Hodeidah ahead of UN Team Visit

Saeed al-Abyad

The Iran-backed Houthi militias have been trying to lure army forces deployed to the outskirts of the coastal city of Hodeidah into armed confrontation.

Analysts said the militias are plotting to break the UN-brokered Stockholm agreement, which was signed last December. 

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: aawsat.com

Tanzania: State Urged to Amend Penal Code On Ship Piracy

By Faustine Kapama

HIGH Court Judge Yose Mlyambina has advised the State to amend the Penal Code of the United Republic of Tanzania, in particular, and the provisions relating to piracy cases in order to draw closer to the developments at the international level.

Dr Mlyambina made the appeal recently while delivering the first judgment in a piracy case, also the first to be determined in the country’s judicial system.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: allafrica.com

After pirate attack off Somalia, judge orders that 5 suspects are held in Seychelles

Only three out of the five Somali suspects appeared in court on Monday while the other two are receiving medical assistance. (Rassin Vannier)

By: Betymie Bonnelame and Rassin Vannier

(Seychelles News Agency) – Three out of five suspected pirates from Somalia who were transferred to Seychelles by EU NAVFOR last week were remanded until May 13 by the Supreme Court on Monday.  

The EU NAVFOR Somalia Operation Atalanta transferred the five suspects to Seychellois authorities after responding to piracy attacks on 21 April 2019, the local Department of Foreign Affairs said on Saturday.

The suspects were transported by Spanish flagship ESPS Navarra and transferred to Seychellois authorities in accordance with a transfer agreement between the Seychelles and the European Union with support from UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).

Only three out of the five Somali suspects appeared in court on Monday while the other two are receiving medical assistance after they were injured in the piracy attacks.

For humanitarian reasons, Operation Atalanta requested medical assistance from the Seychelles authorities for two of the suspects likely to have been wounded during the piracy attempts.

The case is being heard by Justice Laura Pillay, who remanded the suspects until May 13.

During the court session on Monday, a request was made for appropriate clothes for the detainees and a place for prayer as they are all Muslims.

According to the EU NAVFOR, the incident began on 19 April when five suspected pirates captured a Yemeni dhow off the coast of Somalia. Two days later the pirates attacked the Korean fishing vessel Adria with the dhow acting as a mothership in the Indian Ocean some 280 nautical miles off the coast of Somalia.

On April 23, the EU NAVFOR’s flagship ESPS NAVARRA successfully intercepted and boarded the captured dhow vessel and apprehended the five suspected pirates.

The forces said that this is the first notable piracy incident event since October of last year.

“This incident clearly demonstrates that piracy and armed robbery at sea, off the coast of Somalia, has not been eradicated,” said operation commander Rear Admiral Antonio Martorell.

He added that “the need for a strong maritime security presence in the High-Risk Area remains critical for the deterrence and prevention of future incidents and attacks.”

Source: seychellesnewsagency.com

$195m maritime security contract: Is Amaechi deceiving Nigerians?

By Oluwatoyin Amao

Despite a $195 million (N60 billion) maritime security contract awarded by the Federal Government to an Israeli firm, HLSI Security Systems and Technologies Limited at the instance of the Ministrer of Transportation, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, piracy and sea robbery still reign on the nation’s waters while the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) still spends US$174,000 (N53.4 million) monthly to hire security patrol vessels.

This has raised questions about the integrity and impact of the contract in Nigeria’s maritime domain.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: shipsandports.com.ng

Iran, Russia preparing to hold joint naval drills in Persian Gulf

BEIRUT, LEBANON (9:45 A.M.) – The naval forces of Iran and Russia are preparing to hold joint drills in the Persian Gulf waters, the Mehr News Agency reported.

Citing Iranian naval commander Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi, the Mehr News Agency reported that the joint naval drills will take place in Iran’s southern waters.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: almasdarnews.com

Tugboat, four crew members detained in diesel smuggling bid

MIRI: The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) District 13 (D13) seized 5,000 litres of diesel worth RM11,000 and arrested four Indonesian crew members of a tugboat aged between 23 and 30 during an operation here on April 25.

In a statement to the media on Friday night, MMEA D13 director Captain Md Fauzi Othman said the suspicious tugboat was first sighted two nautical miles from the MMEA boat which was carrying out operation in Kuala Baram waters.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: theborneopost.com

Canadian among oil workers kidnapped by gunmen in Nigeria

Troops searching surrounding area after oil rig raided by attackers, military says

Gunman kidnapped three oil workers from Canada, Scotland and Nigeria at a rig in Nigeria’s Delta region on Saturday, officials said — the second abduction in the area in less than a week.

The attackers raided the rig owned by Niger Delta Petroleum Resources in Ogbele, Rivers State at around 8 a.m. local time, said military spokesperson Maj. Ibrahim Abubakar.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: cbc.ca