Dutch hostage joins Abu Sayyaf


SULU:
 Philippine National Police (PNP) Sulu Provincial Commander Pablo Labra reported Saturday that a Dutch hostage abducted by the Abu Sayyaf militants seven years has joined the terrorist group.

Identified as 57-year old Ewold Horn, Labra said the kidnap victim turned outlaw together with Swiss national Lorenzo Vinciguerra were adopted by Abu Sayyaf militants and suspected MNLF members in Tawi-Tawi in 2012.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source:dailyexpress.com.my

Abu Sayyaf Group.

Hijacked ship MT APECUS involved in illegal activities since 2014: NIMASA

A Palau flagged Tanker, MT APECUS, hijacked off the coast of Bonny, Nigeria last month has been conducting trading activities in Nigerian waters since 2014 without permit, the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) said Monday.

Nevertheless, the agency said it was committed to rescue the abducted seven crew, comprising five Indian nationals and two other individuals of unspecified nationality.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: sunnewsonline.com

‘Shut Down Operations And Vacate Nigeria’, Niger Delta Republic Fighters Warn Oil Companies

The group said it will declare the Niger Delta Republic on the 1st of June, 2019. “We have already recruited, trained and equip our freedom fighters for this purpose. Arms and other war materials has been bought and brought to Nigeria, immediately we commence action, Port Harcourt Airport would be shut down and only our fighter jets would be permitted to use the facility.

A group called Niger Delta Republic Fighters has ordered all oil companies and multi-nationals operating in the Niger Delta to vacate the region from May 29, 2019.

The group said it will declare the Niger Delta Republic on the 1st of June, 2019.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: saharareporters.com

GCC navies begin security patrols in Arabian Gulf amid US-Iran tensions

Saudi Arabian foreign ministry reiterates that it does not want war with Iran, but is prepared for one if need be, as GCC navies step up Arabian Gulf patrols.

GCC countries have begun “enhanced security patrols” in the international waters of the Arabian Gulf, according to the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet.

GCC members were “specifically increasing communication and co-ordination with each other in support of regional naval co-operation and maritime security operations in the Arabian Gulf”, the Bahrain-based fleet said in a statement.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: logisticsmiddleeast.com

UAE added to insurers Joint War Committee risk list following tanker attacks

Following the 12 May sabotage attacks on four tankers off Fujairah the LMA Joint War Commission (JWC) has added the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to its listed areas for Hull War, Piracy, Terrorism and Related Perils.

The decision by the JWC was taken on Friday, following a meeting earlier in the week where it had deferred a decision on amending its list of war risk areas.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: seatrade-maritime.com

Nigerian Navy recruits 1,176 personnel to fight sea pirates, oil bunkers

by  Akinyemi Akinrujomu

The Nigerian Navy has recruited no fewer than 1,176 young men and women to aid its fight against sea pirates and oil bunkers in the nation’s maritime domain.

News Agency of Nigeria reports that General Abayomi Olonisakin, Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), revealed this on Saturday, May 18 at the formal Passing Out Parade of Batch 28 recruits trained at the Nigerian Navy Basic Training School in Onne, Rivers state.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: legit.ng

Kenya: Coast Guard seizes two Chinese vessels

Philip Mwakio

The Kenya Coast Guard Service (KCGS) seized two Chinese flagged fishing vessels operating within Kenya’s territorial waters last week.

According to Lieutenant Commander Glen Majanga, the two vessels christened Harong 109 and Harong 108 were intercepted off Malindi within Ungama Bay on May 15, 2019.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: standardmedia.co.ke

Nigeria, others lost $2.3bn to maritime crime in three years – UN report

Tunde Ajaja

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime says the estimated economic cost of piracy to Nigeria and other West African countries between 2015 and 2017 stands at $2.3bn.

It stated that within the period under review, the sub-region lost about $777.1m to piracy on an annual basis, which it said was in addition to human costs as the Gulf of Guinea experienced an escalation of piracy, kidnapping and armed robbery at sea incidents in recent years.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: punchng.com

Piracy: Changing a Wrong Perception of Nigeria

BY Vincent Obia

When in December last year Dr. Dakuku Peterside appealed to the International Maritime Bureau (IMB) to, “Please, report Nigeria appropriately,” he was making a passionate comment on a country determined to change, and challenging the misrepresentation of its situation by a world information system often lost in the ambiguities of perception. The call by the Director-General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), made during a visit by the International Maritime Security Operations Team (IMSOT) from the United Kingdom, was against the backdrop of exaggerated reports on incidents on the country’s waterways. IMB, a specialised department of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) dedicated to fighting maritime crime and malpractice, was the main culprit in what looked like a campaign of disinformation against the Nigerian maritime domain.

In often complicated and confusing accounts of maritime incidents, crimes within and outside Nigeria’s territorial waters are lumped together and presented as piracy. And attempts are hardly made to appreciate Nigeria’s efforts to curtail security incidents within its maritime space.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: thisdaylive.com

Maritime security: Nigerian waters now safer, says Peterside

Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) Director-General  Dr. Dakuku Peterside has said piracy and other maritime crimes have reduced drastically in the Nigerian maritime domain, making it safer for investment.

Contrary to reports in a section of the media on his responses while defending the Agency’s budget before the Senate Committee on Maritime Transport in Abuja, Peterside noted that efforts being put in place by the Federal Government to tackle maritime crimes were now yielding results. He added that NIMASA would continue to up its game to ensure Nigerians benefit from the enormous potential in the sector.

To continue reading, please click here.

Source: thenationonlineng.net